Annual Minimum Salary: $26,127.62
Announcement Type: Internal/External
Facility: Meter Reading
City/State: Valdosta, Georgia
Pay Grade: 9
Closing Date: OPEN UNTIL FILLED
The City of Valdosta Finance Department is accepting applications for the position of Utility Service Worker. This position assists in the minor maintenance and reading of water utility meters, walks extended periods along an assigned route to read and record water usage for manual and touch read meters, operates a vehicle to read and record water usage data through the use of a radio read device, locates malfunctioning meters, troubleshoots and makes minor repairs, replaces and repairs meter lids, changes out meters and/or registers depending on the need, installs water meters for new accounts and removes meters on tampered accounts, turns off and locks meters for nonpayment and discontinued accounts, connects water service for new customers, re-reads meters as assigned, rechecks the billing routes for accuracy, and maintains assigned vehicle and equipment.
- Knowledge of utility meter operations and maintenance principles, area streets and roads, and vehicle maintenance principles, department safety policies and procedures
- Skills in the use of handheld computers and job-related software, operation of assigned vehicles and equipment, use of hand and power tools, problem solving, interpersonal relations, oral and written communication
- At least one (1) year of experience in a related field or service
- A high school diploma or GED
- Possession of or ability to obtain a valid State driver’s license for the type of vehicle or equipment operated
- Must satisfactorily complete a background check, drug test and pre-employment physical
Please complete a City of Valdosta Application form and email it to Berna Hepburn at firstname.lastname@example.org to be considered for the position you are interested in applying for. An application must be submitted for each position you are interested in applying for. A resume and cover letter may be attached as additional information only. You may apply in person at the City of Valdosta Human Resources Department, 216 East Central Avenue, Valdosta, GA 31601.
Sorry, No Phone Calls Please.
The City of Valdosta offers competitive salary with excellent benefits package. The City is an Equal Opportunity Employer and an E-Verify employer.