The Bureau of Patrol Services responds to nearly 80,000 calls for service on an annual basis. The bureau is responsible for preliminary response and follow-up investigations of crimes, vehicle crashes and unusual occurrences reported in the 38-square miles of the City of Valdosta. The bureau also provides community policing services to include crime prevention programs, traffic safety programs and provides for school crossing guards adjacent to designated city schools.
The Patrol Bureau consists of:
- Four uniformed shifts providing 24-hour law enforcement services
- A full-time Traffic Unit with members certified in speed detection devices, vehicle crash reconstruction, D.U.I. detection and standardized field sobriety testing, and a Drug Recognition Expert (DRE).
- A full-time Crime Supression Unit identified as the Power Squad, trained in gang recognition and intervention and is dedicated to proactively patrolling high-crime areas
Patrol Services uses a wide range of specialized functions such as:
- K-9 Units (Officers partnered with a police dog) trained in patrol techniques and narcotics detection
- Airport Security Unit with officers assigned to security at the Valdosta Regional Airport
- A part-time Bike Patrol Unit where officers are assigned to patrolling designated areas of the city and performing community policing activities
- School Crossing Guard section with civilians assigned to ensure the safety of school children during the beginning and end of school hours of operation
- Parking Enforcement section with civilians assigned to ensure that parking upon the city streets of Valdosta as outlined by the Georgia Code and Valdosta’s City Ordinance are enforced