Battalion Chief James Clinkscales
Fire & Life Safety Educator
The Fire Prevention Division is responsible for providing inspection services to the City of Valdosta.
Service include the following:
- Pre-construction site plan review
- Construction final inspections
- Fire Code Enforcement
- Issue violations notices where appropriate
- Conducts re-inspection
- Handle citizen complaints regarding fire safety hazards
- Fire Investigations
- Fire Safety Education
- Teaches fire and life safety classes to include Fire Extinguishers
- Conducts free home smoke detector giveaway program.
- Assists parents with child safety seat installation.
- Coordinates neighborhood fire watch programs.
- Jr. Fire Marshal Program
The Fire Prevention Bureau enforces applicable provisions of the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), Life Safety Code, International Building Code, and the City of Valdosta Code of Ordinances for the public.
The Bureau conducts annual fire inspections on commercial buildings to assure the building meet all requirements, of national, state, and local codes.
The Fire Prevention Division also reviews all new and existing building plans for construction services. All plans are examined to assure that they meet all requirements of national, state, and local codes. Once the plans are reviewed and the construction site is inspected, fire system tested and approved, a certificate of occupancy is issued.
The Fire Investigator handles all investigations of suspicious and arson fires within the City of Valdosta. The Fire Investigator responds to incidents involving:
- Fires believed to be intentionally set
- Fires involving juveniles
- Fires involving fatality
- Fires involving high dollar loss
- Acts of terrorism (i.e. fire bombing, structural sabotage)
- Hazardous Condition of an occupancy representing an immediate threat to life safety (i.e. assembly overcrowding, blocked exits, building collapse, compromised fire protection and detection systems, etc)