Annual Minimum Salary: $38,313.59
Hourly Rate: $18.42
Pay Grade: 16 E
Announcement Type: Internal
Facility: Fire Station
City/State: Valdosta, Georgia
Deadline: November 3, 2017
The City of Valdosta is accepting applications for the position of Sergeant in the Fire Department. This position is responsible for safely operating the fire apparatuses and conducting daily, weekly and monthly apparatus inspections to ensure apparatuses are at a level of readiness. In addition, Sergeants assumes the Company Officer roles in the absence of the Lieutenants. Supervises and assists in fire suppression and other emergency response activities using the appropriate techniques and equipment. Drives fire equipment and apparatus to the scenes of fires and other emergencies. Operates a variety of specialized tools and equipment. Supervises and participates in search and rescue operations as assigned. Supervises and participates in emergency medical response activities. Supervises and participates in the maintenance of equipment, vehicles, buildings and grounds. Completes a variety of reports; reviews fire reports for accuracy. Supervises assigned personnel; ensures compliance with department and city policies and procedures. Supervises the training of assigned personnel; maintains required training records. Participates in training exercises; maintains required certifications. Assists in public relations and fire safety education activities. Serves as a member of specialized teams as assigned.
- Knowledge of the operation of all apparatus and equipment and methods used in combating, extinguishing and preventing fires and in other emergency response operations, firefighting standards, practices, strategies, tactics, and equipment, rules, regulations, and standard operating procedures of the fire department, equipment maintenance principles, hydrant locations, water systems and water mains, local, state, and federal fire codes, hazardous materials.
- Skill in the operation of all firefighting and emergency response equipment, extrication techniques, use of a computer, use of radios and communication equipment, interpersonal relations, oral and written communication.
- Three (3) years of service as a Firefighter
- Internal candidates must have achieved the minimum ranking of a Corporal or Relief Driver with the Valdosta Fire Department
- NPQ or IFSAC Firefighter II Certification
- NPQ or IFSAC Fire Instructor I Certification (Must have or completed by December 31, 2018)
- Company Officer Development Series (Must have or completed by December 31, 2018)
- Preparation for Initial Company Officer (PICO)
- Strategy and Tactics for Initial Company Operations (STICO)
- Decision Making for Initial Company Operations (DMICO)
- NPQ or IFSAC Fire Officer I Certification (Must have or completed by December 31, 2018)
- National Registry EMT Certification (Effective Date – December 31, 2019)
- NPQ or IFSAC Fire Officer II Certification (Effective Date – December 31, 2020)
- High School or GED from an accredited school
- A valid Driver’s License
- Must satisfactorily complete the required background check, pre-employment physical and drug test.
Candidates will automatically be disqualified and/or no longer eligible for the promotional process if they received disciplinary actions above a written reprimand:
- One year prior to the effective start day of the promotional process
- During the promotional process
- While on the current Promotional List
Please complete a City of Valdosta Application form and email it to Berna Hepburn at firstname.lastname@example.org to be considered for the position you are interested in applying for. An application must be submitted for each position you are interested in applying for. A resume and cover letter may be attached as additional information only. You may apply in person at the City of Valdosta Human Resources Department, 216 East Central Avenue, Valdosta, GA 31601.
Sorry, No Phone Calls Please.
The City of Valdosta offers competitive salary with excellent benefits package. The City is an Equal Opportunity Employer and an E-Verify employer.