Annual Minimum Salary: $27,450.33
Announcement Type: Internal/External
Department: Public Works
Facility: Sunset Hill Cemetery
City/State: Valdosta, Georgia
Pay Grade: 10
Closing Date: OPEN UNTIL FILLED
The City of Valdosta Public Works Department is accepting applications for the position of Light Equipment Operator. This position is responsible for operating a backhoe and dump truck; performing grounds maintenance tasks in the city cemetery and opening and closing graves; operating a backhoe, dump truck, and other light equipment throughout cemetery and in packs as needed; opening and closing graves, using backhoe; mowing grassy areas in cemetery with push or riding mower; edging and trimming grassy areas as needed; planting, pruning, trimming and spraying trees and shrubs; performing routine maintenance and making minor repairs to equipment; picking up trash and garbage from cemetery and removing it to the landfill in a dump truck; setting up and removing tents for special events throughout city.
- Knowledge of grounds maintenance techniques, pesticide, fertilizer, and poison-mixing techniques as related to grounds maintenance, specifications for opening and closing graves as required by law and local ordinances, and the layout of the city cemetery
- Skills in the operation and maintenance of backhoe, dump truck, hand-pushed and riding mowers, chain saws, and various hand and power tools
- Must have at least one (1) year to two (2) years of experience in a related field or service
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Must have a high school diploma or GED
- Must satisfactorily complete the required background check, pre-employment physical and drug test.
Please complete a City of Valdosta Application form and email it to Berna Hepburn at email@example.com to be considered for the position you are interested in applying for. An application must be submitted for each position you are interested in applying for. A resume and cover letter may be attached as additional information only. You may apply in person at the City of Valdosta Human Resources Department, 216 East Central Avenue, Valdosta, GA 31601.
Sorry, No Phone Calls Please.
The City of Valdosta offers competitive salary with excellent benefits package. The City is an Equal Opportunity Employer and an E-Verify employer.