Thursday, October 12, 2017
Eastern Daylight Time
Morningside Baptist Church
The Valdosta Police Department will host three community forums to hear feedback and concerns from the community on a proposed new Curfew and Parental Responsibility Ordinance. The forums will take place at the following dates and locations:
- September 28 at 7 p.m., at Valdosta City Hall - second floor Council Chambers
- October 4 at 7 p.m., at the Mildred Hunter Center
- October 12 at 7:00 p.m., at Morningside Baptist Church
The department has proposed a new city ordinance to Valdosta Mayor and Council whereas juveniles from the age of 7 to 16 are prohibited from roaming the streets from midnight to 5 a.m. unless they have a legitimate excuse to include being accompanied by a parent/legal guardian. The ordinance would also hold parents/legal guardians responsible for failing to properly supervise their juveniles who do not have a legitimate reason to be out during said time. A more detailed discussion of the ordinance will be provided at each community forum.
The goal of the new ordinance is to:
- Prevent juveniles from being charged with a serious crime;
- Prevent serious injury to juveniles;
- Help parents who may require assistance with supervision of their juvenile; and
- Reduce crime in the city at night.
The department welcomes all who support or may have concerns about the new proposed ordinance.