This is to announce the opening of a promotion process for the rank of Captain. Any sworn officer meeting the below requirements is encouraged to participate in the process. You must submit a Promotional Process Form IN-PERSON to the City of Valdosta Human Resources Office before 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, January 22, 2019. At that time, the application period will be closed. Attached is a description of the promotion process. (In the event no suitable candidate is found within the department, the search may be re-opened and expanded to candidates outside the department.)
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS - CAPTAIN
For the purposes of the current promotional cycle for the rank of Captain, the employee must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Candidates with the rank of Lieutenant may apply;
- The Candidate must have non-probationary status with the department by January 22, 2019.
- The Candidate should possess at least an Associates degree from an Accredited College or University. Candidates who do not hold the desired education, but meet all other requirements may apply. However, specific consideration will be given to candidates holding a minimum of an Associates degree or its equivalent.
- The Candidate must have at least five years continuous service in an enforcement position with the Valdosta Police Department or another law enforcement agency by January 22, 2019.
- The Candidate must not have received a disciplinary action more severe than a written reprimand within the past 12 months.