Position Title: Fire Sergeant
Annual Minimum Salary: $38,126.69
Hourly Rate: $18.33
Pay Grade: 16
Announcement Type: Internal only
Facility: Fire Station
City/State: Valdosta, Georgia
Deadline: Open until Filled
The City of Valdosta is accepting internal applications for the position of Sergeant in the Fire Department. This position is responsible for safely operating the fire apparatuses and conducting daily, weekly and monthly apparatus inspections to ensure apparatuses are at a level of readiness. In addition, Sergeants assumes the Company Officer roles in the absence of the Lieutenants. Supervises and assists in fire suppression and other emergency response activities using the appropriate techniques and equipment. Drives fire equipment and apparatus to the scenes of fires and other emergencies. Operates a variety of specialized tools and equipment. Supervises and participates in search and rescue operations as assigned. Supervises and participates in emergency medical response activities. Supervises and participates in the maintenance of equipment, vehicles, buildings and grounds. Completes a variety of reports; reviews fire reports for accuracy. Supervises assigned personnel; ensures compliance with department and city policies and procedures. Supervises the training of assigned personnel; maintains required training records. Participates in training exercises; maintains required certifications. Assists in public relations and fire safety education activities. Serves as a member of specialized teams as assigned.
- Knowledge of the operation of all apparatus and equipment and methods used in combating, extinguishing and preventing fires and in other emergency response operations, firefighting standards, practices, strategies, tactics, and equipment, rules, regulations, and standard operating procedures of the fire department, equipment maintenance principles, hydrant locations, water systems and water mains, local, state, and federal fire codes, hazardous materials.
- Skill in the operation of all firefighting and emergency response equipment, extrication techniques, use of a computer, use of radios and communication equipment, interpersonal relations, oral and written communication.
- Three (3) years of service as a Firefighter.
- Internal candidates must have achieved the minimum ranking of a Corporal or Relief Driver with the Valdosta Fire Department.
- NPQ or IFSAC Firefighter II Certification.
- NPQ or IFSAC Fire Instructor I Certification (Must have or completed by December 31, 2018)
- Company Officer Development Series (Must have or completed by December 31, 2018)
- Preparation for Initial Company Officer (PICO)
- Strategy and Tactics for Initial Company Operations (STICO)
- Decision Making for Initial Company Operations (DMICO)
- NPQ or IFSAC Fire Officer I Certification (Must have or completed by December 31, 2018)
- National Registry EMT Certification (Effective Date – December 31, 2019)
- NPQ or IFSAC Fire Officer II Certification (Effective Date – December 31, 2020)
- High School diploma or GED from an accredited school.
- A valid Driver’s License.
- Must satisfactorily complete the required background check, pre-employment physical and drug test.
To be fully considered, applicants must submit a completed City of Valdosta Application form to LaToya Robinson at firstname.lastname@example.org, or apply in-person at the City of Valdosta Human Resources Department, 216 East Central Avenue, Valdosta, GA 31601. A resume cannot be submitted as a substitute for the application form; it is for additional information only.
The City of Valdosta offers competitive salary with excellent benefits package. The City is an Equal Opportunity Employer and an E-Verify employer. For more information, go to http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify/employees/e-verify-overview