Utility Service Worker
The City of Valdosta Utilities Department is accepting applications for the position of Utility Service Worker. This position is responsible for assisting in the maintenance and reading of water utility meters and for participating in the maintenance of the wastewater collection and water distribution system. Operates a vehicle along an assigned route to read and record water usage data through the use of a radio read device or manually. Locates malfunctioning meters; troubleshoots and makes repairs. Replaces and repairs meter lids. Changes out meter heads. Installs water meters for new accounts. Turns off and locks meters for nonpayment. Connects water service for new customers. Re-reads meters as assigned. Maintains assigned vehicle and equipment. Marks new meters using geographic positioning system software and hardware. Locates and repairs leaks in the water distribution and wastewater collection system. Installs new water and sewer mains and services. Operates a remote control camera to identify line blockages and breaks. Repairs and replace fire hydrants. Locates and excavates underground utilities; makes street, sidewalk and lawn repairs. Makes sewer and water main line repairs. Repairs manholes. Performs related duties.
- Knowledge of utility meter operations and maintenance principles, area streets and roads, and vehicle maintenance principles, department safety policies and procedures
- Skills in the use of handheld computers and job-related software, operation of assigned vehicles and equipment, use of hand and power tools, problem solving, interpersonal relations, oral and written communication.
- At least one (1) year of experience in a related field or service.
- A high school diploma or GED.
- Valid driver’s license required. Possession of or ability to obtain a valid Class "B" CDL within 6 months of hire date required.
- Must satisfactorily complete a background check, drug test and pre-employment physical.
- ROTATING SHIFTS REQUIRED
Please complete a City of Valdosta Application form and email it to LaToya Robinson at firstname.lastname@example.org to be considered for the position you are interested in applying for. An application must be submitted for each position you are interested in. A resume and cover letter may be attached as additional information only. You may apply in person at the City of Valdosta Human Resources Department, 216 East Central Avenue, Valdosta, GA 31601.
Sorry, no phone calls, please.
The City of Valdosta offers competitive salary with excellent benefits package. The City is an Equal Opportunity Employer and an E-Verify employer. For more information, go to http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify/employees/e-verify-overview.