Georgia Department of Public Health News Releases
Process for Announcing Confirmed
COVID-19 Cases in South Health District
With multiple cases of novel coronavirus now appearing in South Health District and more cases expected, we wanted to make our communities aware of our protocol for releasing case updates.
- When we are notified of the first confirmed case in one of our counties, we will issue a press release to all media partners. We will also post that information onto the South Health District website and social media accounts.
- For counties that already have cases, we will issue updates twice daily at 12 noon and 7 p.m. These updates will be published on our website and social media accounts as soon as they are released on the Georgia Department of Public Health Daily Status Update map.
It is also important to note that, with commercial laboratories now reporting test results, healthcare providers may be the first to receive notification of a lab positive case. Be assured, all positive labs must be reported to public health and we will maintain an accurate case count, but our agency may not be the first source to announce new cases. If you receive a press release about a COVID-19 case that is not currently reflected on our map, please know that our notification of the case may be delayed and as soon as we are made aware of the case and receive confirmation we will include it in our case count.
Local Press Releases:
• First COVID-19 Related Death in Lowndes County (3/26/2020)
• Sick? Stay home! (3/26/2020)
• Social Distancing Critical to Slow COVID-19 Spread (3/20/2020)
- CDC Novel Coronavirus Web Page: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
- Georgia Department of Public Health COVID-19 Web Page: https://dph.georgia.gov/novelcoronavirus