Valdosta citizens may participate in accomplishing the business of the city by serving on a variety of boards, commissions, authorities and advisory committees. Currently, the city has 10 vacancies for which they are seeking community-minded citizens to apply.
In accordance with the City of Valdosta’s Appointment Policy and to provide an opportunity for qualified citizens to be made aware of these opportunities to serve their community, the City of Valdosta announces the following openings:
- Central Valdosta Development Authority—One appointment to fill an unexpired term.
- Valdosta Housing Board of Adjustments & Appeals—Two appointments.
- Valdosta-Lowndes County Land Bank Authority—The Mayor will make one appointment to fill an unexpired term.
- Valdosta Tree Commission—Three appointments.
- Valdosta-Lowndes County Zoning Board of Appeals—Two appointments, of which one must be filled by an attorney.
- Valdosta-Lowndes County Construction Board of Adjustments & Appeals—One appointment.
Citizens seeking appointment should first review the Membership Requirements and the Code of Ethics booklet, complete an application, and sign a Code of Ethics form, all of which are available at City Hall, located at 216 East Central Avenue. All required forms, which may also be conveniently downloaded from the city’s website, should be submitted to the Valdosta City Clerk’s office by 5 p.m., on Wednesday, August 17, 2016.
Mayor and council will make the appointments from the pool of qualified applicants at the August 25 City Council meeting.
“The board positions for which we are currently seeking applicants touch all areas of city life and provide great diverse representation of the community,” said Mayor John Gayle. “Good government depends on the involvement of others, and we urge our citizens to earnestly consider these opportunities to serve.”
Citizens may choose an area to serve based on individual interests and work experience. To learn more about getting involved with your local government by serving on one of these entities, call 229-259-3500, or download the information from http://www.valdostacity.com/boards-commissions-authorities-advisory-committees.