The mission of the City of Valdosta Youth Council (VYC) is for youth to build leadership skills and learn about civic responsibility, to gain a better under-standing of municipal government, and to prepare youth for a lifetime of public and community service.
2016-2017 Valdosta Youth Council Application
Valdosta Youth Council ByLaws
Meetings are held once a month during the school year at the Valdosta City Hall, located at 216 E. Central Avenue, unless otherwise specified. The day and time of all meetings will be posted in accordance with the Georgia Open Meetings Law. The VYC will not be officially during the summer months. The 2016-2017 Meeting Dates will be posted here soon.
Adopt-A-Street Anti-Littering Project
Mayor's Motorcade/Holiday visit to Parkwood Development Center
"If I Were Mayor" Essay Contest
View 2015-2016 Council Accomplishments
Code of Conduct
- Be prompt and present at all meetings and dress appropriately.
- Be respectful in the treatment of and the interaction with other people.
- Be mindful of safety issues to ensure that everyone stays safe from harm and injury.
- Be courteous and do not talk on the cell phone during meetings (mute cell phone).
- Be aware of inappropriate behavior and stay out of trouble at home and at school.
2016-2017 Youth Council Members
- Margaret “Amelia” Barnett, 9th Grade, VHS
- Jaida Brown, 8th Grade, VMS
- James “Drew” Correll, 9th Grade, VHS
- Will Gerber, 7th Grade, St. John
- Rachael Goss, 8th Grade, St. John
- Matthew Hall, 9th Grade, HCA
- Jalith Harding, 8th Grade, JL Newbern
- Dalemetrius Huff, 8th Grade, JL Newbern
- Kaightlyn Jowers, 7th Grade, VMS
- Erin Kelly, 8th Grade, St. John
- Clara “Abbi” Long, 8th Grade, VMS
- Sean Manning, 8th Grade, St. John
- Deeya Patel, 7th Grade, VMS
- Clancy Claire Perry, 8th Grade, St. John
- Zandayja Rollins, 8th Grade, JL Newbern
- Toni Salami, 7th Grade, VMS
VYC Advisory Board
The VYC is guided by a VYC Advisory Board appointed by Mayor John Gayle, who serves as the head of the board. The 2016-2017 VYC Advisory Board members are:
- Teresa Bolden, Valdosta City Clerk
- John Davis, Prinicipal, St. John Catholic School
- Sementha Mathews, Valdosta Public Information Officer
- Marcus McConico, Valdosta Channel 17 Coordinator
- Alvin Payton, Jr., Valdosta Mayor Pro Tem & District 4 Councilman
- Lynn Orenstein, Educator, Valdosta Middle School
- James White, Assistant Principal, J.L. Newbern Middle School
For more information, contact City Clerk Teresa Bolden at 229-259-3503 or Public Information Officer Sementha Mathews at 229-259-3548.