The Valdosta-Lowndes Regional Crime Laboratory is accepting applications for a highly motivated individual for a Criminalist/Firearms Examiner position. This position is responsible for performing independent scientific examinations and comparisons of firearms, tool marks and serial number restorations.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Perform comparative analysis on evidence such as bullets, cartridge casings, and tool marks.
- Perform serial number restorations.
- Take photographs.
- Enter evidence into Integrated Ballistic Identification Systems (IBIS).
- Perform correlation review of images acquired by partnering sites to determine the possible presence of a NIBIN lead.
- Care for and maintain laboratory equipment.
- Perform technical and administrative reviews of another examiner’s casework.
- Interact and collaborate with other group/team members and other forensic staff to ensure a high quality and accurate product.
- Prepare evidence for presentation at court and appear as an expert witness to testify on the results of laboratory examinations.
- Comply with relevant policies and procedures.
- Participate in public relations activities such as conducting tours of the laboratory and speaking to interested groups.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- A bachelors or advanced degree in criminal justice, physical, natural or forensic science from an accredited college or university.
- Successful completion of a documented Firearm and/or Tool Mark Examiner training program
- Be able to pass a competency test.
- Ability to prepare technical reports.
- At least three to five (3-5) years independent firearms casework experience in an accredited forensic/crime laboratory preferred.
- Must satisfactorily complete a background check and post offer physical.
- A valid driver’s license.
- Satisfactorily complete a background check, drug test and pre-employment physical.
Please complete a City of Valdosta Application form and email it firstname.lastname@example.org to be considered for the position you are interested in applying for. An application must be submitted for each position you are interested in. A resume and cover letter may be attached as additional information only. You may apply in person at the City of Valdosta Human Resources Department, 216 East Central Avenue, Valdosta, GA 31601.
Sorry, no phone calls, please.
The City of Valdosta offers competitive salary with excellent benefits package. The City is an Equal Opportunity Employer and an E-Verify employer. For more information, go to http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify/employees/e-verify-overview.