All City Employees who are considering retirement must contact the Human Resources Administrator to commence the retirement process. The employee will need to complete several forms to start the retirement process, which will take approximately one (1) hour. If the exiting employee elects direct deposit, his/her retirement funds will be deposited directly into the retiree's bank account; otherwise, a check will be mailed to the retiree's residence.
Thinking about retiring... here are a few things to think about:
- Once you select a beneficiary, the selection may not be changed once an employee retires.
- Military Service – once an employee has worked with the City for at least twenty (20) years, up to four (4) years of additional service may be added for military time.
- If completing an in-service retirement, additional service may be given for unused sick leave.
- Military time and sick leave cannot be used to fulfill any service requirements for vesting in the retirement plan.
- The employee may only keep up to $20,000 in life insurance upon retirement.
- An employee who retires with 25 or more years of consecutive service is eligible to maintain City medical coverage.
- If eligible for continued medical coverage, a retiring employee's spouse may be included in the plan (if the spouse was an eligible dependent for five (5) years prior to retirement). Dependent children are not eligible t remain on the retiree's medical plan.
Valdosta City Hall
216 E. Central Ave.
Valdosta, GA 31601