Maintenance Worker I- Street Maintenance
The City of Valdosta Engineering Department is accepting applications for a highly motivated individual for a Maintenance Worker I position. This position performs street and drainage system maintenance and repair duties. An incumbent in this position may be designated "Maintenance Worker II." Maintains and repairs ditches. Maintains catch basins and headwalls, installs drainage pipes and assigned vehicles and equipment. Flags traffic at work sites. Makes sidewalk and curb repairs. Repairs street water and sewer cuts. Installs road signs. Operates a backhoe, tamper, other equipment and a variety of hand and power tools. Performs related duties. Knowledge of street and drainage system maintenance principles, tools and equipment used in the repair and maintenance of city infrastructure and safe work practices. Skills in the operation of assigned vehicles equipment, hand and power tools, decision making, problem solving, interpersonal relations and in dealing with the public.
- Ability to read, write and perform basic mathematical calculations.
- No experience requirements.
- Skills in the use of standard tools (e.g., shovels, picks, axes, levels, etc.), operating hand and gas-powered equipment such as weed eaters, saws, tamps, rollers, mowers, and jack hammers
- Ability to read and write simple instructions, number and street signs with at least one (1) year experience in a related field a plus
- A high school diploma or GED
- A valid driver’s license are also required
- Must satisfactorily complete a background check, drug test and pre-employment physical.
Please complete a City of Valdosta Application form and email it to LaToya Robinson at email@example.com to be considered for the position you are interested in applying for. An application must be submitted for each position you are interested in. A resume and cover letter may be attached as additional information only. You may apply in person at the City of Valdosta Human Resources Department, 216 East Central Avenue, Valdosta, GA 31601.
Sorry, no phone calls, please.
The City of Valdosta offers competitive salary with excellent benefits package. The City is an Equal Opportunity Employer and an E-Verify employer. For more information, go to http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify/employees/e-verify-overview.