*THIS POSITION IS FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS ONLY*
The City of Valdosta Fire Department is accepting applications for the position of full-time Fire Lieutenant. This position is responsible for
- Supervise the operations of assigned fire companies during training sessions.
- Direct the overall activities in day-to-day operations of the Training Center.
- Conduct live training exercises.
- Develop lesson plans and written course curriculum to be submitted to the Training Captain.
- Develop and conduct training courses at the company level on a daily basis; serves as coach and mentor to all employees.
- Ensure compliance with city and department rules and regulations.
- Maintain required professional certifications to ensure operational readiness at all times.
- Prepare a variety of regular and special reports.
- Maintain all departmental training records to be compliant with the State of Georgia and ISO.
- Assist and or manage recruit classes.
- Maintain Training Center building, equipment, and grounds.
- Knowledge of modern firefighting techniques and equipment, laws and regulations relating to the control and prevention of fires, department and city policies and procedures, and federal, state, and local laws and regulations, computers and job-related software programs, capabilities, and uses of emergency vehicles and equipment, professional standards and industry best practices, fire safety principles, arson investigation principles, and practices.
- Skills in operating emergency vehicles and equipment, supervision of personnel, use of radio/communications equipment, planning, organization, and decision making, public speaking, and public relations, oral and written communication.
- Internal Candidates must have a minimum of two (2) years of experience as a Sergeant. External candidates must have seven (7) years of experience as a career firefighter and two (2) years of experience at a rank equivalent to a Sergeant or two (2) years of experience working in a training division or similar capacity with a career fire department.
- NPQ or IFSAC Firefighter II Certification
- NPQ or IFSAC Fire Officer II Certification
- NPQ or IFSAC Fire Instructor II Certification
- Incident Safety Officer
- Live Burn Instructor Certification
- National Registry and/or Georgia EMT Certification
Please complete a City of Valdosta Application form and email it to email@example.com to be considered for the position you are interested in applying for. An application must be submitted for each position you are interested in. A resume and cover letter may be attached as additional information only. You may apply in person at the City of Valdosta Human Resources Department, 216 East Central Avenue, Valdosta, GA 31601.
Sorry, no phone calls, please.
The City of Valdosta offers competitive salary with excellent benefits package. The City is an Equal Opportunity Employer and an E-Verify employer. For more information, go to http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify/employees/e-verify-overview.