Fire Prevention Lieutenant
*THIS POSITION IS FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS ONLY*
The City of Valdosta Fire Department is accepting applications for the position of full-time Fire Lieutenant. This position’s major duties include:
- Conducting periodic inspections of various types of dwellings to ensure compliance with local and state fire ordinances.
- Enforcing fire safety laws and regulations as they apply to new and existing buildings (e.g., issues citations, files formal charges against offenders).
- Conducting fire safety demonstrations to various audiences including local schools, nursing homes, hospitals and industrial plants.
- Maintains records and reports of fire prevention activities.
- Performs duties of Fire Marshal in his absence
- Performs other assigned duties
- Knowledge of modern firefighting techniques and equipment; laws and regulations relating to the control and prevention of fires; department and city policies and procedures, and federal, state, and local laws and regulations; computers and job-related software programs; capabilities and uses of emergency vehicles and equipment, ;professional standards and industry best practices; fire safety principles; arson investigation principles and practices; and electric systems and building construction.
- Skills in reading blueprints, use of radio/communications equipment; planning, organizing, and decision making; public speaking and public relations; and oral and written communication
- Internal Candidates must have a minimum of two (2) years of experience as a Sergeant. External candidates must have seven (7) years of experience as a career firefighter and two (2) years of experience at a rank equivalent to a Sergeant or two (2) years of experience working in the Fire Prevention Bureau or similar capacity with a career fire department.
- NPQ or IFSAC Fire Inspector Certification
- NPQ or IFSAC Fire Firefighter II Certification
- NPQ or IFSAC Fire Life & Safety Educator Certification
- NPQ or IFSAC Arson Investigator (Fire Investigator Only)
- Incident Safety Officer
- NPQ IFSAC Fire Officer II
Please complete a City of Valdosta Application form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org to be considered for the position you are interested in applying for. An application must be submitted for each position you are interested in. A resume and cover letter may be attached as additional information only. You may apply in person at the City of Valdosta Human Resources Department, 216 East Central Avenue, Valdosta, GA 31601.
Sorry, no phone calls, please.
The City of Valdosta offers competitive salary with excellent benefits package. The City is an Equal Opportunity Employer and an E-Verify employer. For more information, go to http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify/employees/e-verify-overview.