Planning and Zoning Technician
The City of Valdosta is accepting applications for the position of Planning & Zoning Technician in the Planning and Zoning Division. This position is responsible for receiving and reviewing all monthly application requests for rezoning, annexation, conditional use, variance, subdivisions and administrative reviews, calculates fees, prepares all legal advertisements as required, assists in the preparation of staff reports, and post-processes all case reviews upon their completion. Serves as the primary first point of contact for citizens inquiring about zoning and planning related information via walk-ins, emails, and phone calls, general zoning-related questions and offers guidance on such matters with referral of more complex inquiries to other planning and zoning staff as needed. Researches and completes zoning approval forms as part of the building permit process, prepares zoning verification letters for specific properties, and prepares meeting minutes as necessary. Frequently accesses GIS data and other online records, maintains the City’s weekly First Step and Pre-Application meeting schedules, prepares routine maps using GIS data, coordinates Enterprise Zone eligibilities as well as Community Planning Month activities, and assists other division staff with special projects as needed. Completes general office management tasks including the processing of purchase requisitions, budget maintenance, ordering of supplies, maintaining general files and databases, updating the planning and zoning web page, compiling activity reports, and providing other technical assistance as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Urban Planning or related field.
- Minimum 2 years of professional work experience in an office setting, preferably government-related.
- Strong skills in communication, map reading, organization, problem solving and writing skills and must possess the ability to deal effectively with the public and government officials.
- Competent in computers with in-depth skills in Microsoft Office Suite, including the creation of forms, tables, brochures, and simple graphics.
- Basic knowledge regarding zoning, urban planning as well as Valdosta geography (or the ability to learn such knowledge quickly) is a plus.
- A valid driver’s license.
- Satisfactorily complete a background check, drug test and pre-employment physical.
Please complete a City of Valdosta Application form and email it to LaToya Robinson at email@example.com to be considered for the position you are interested in applying for. An application must be submitted for each position you are interested in. A resume and cover letter may be attached as additional information only. You may apply in person at the City of Valdosta Human Resources Department, 216 East Central Avenue, Valdosta, GA 31601.
Sorry, no phone calls, please.
The City of Valdosta offers competitive salary with excellent benefits package. The City is an Equal Opportunity Employer and an E-Verify employer. For more information, go to http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify/employees/e-verify-overview.